Suicide and Substance Abuse Prevention Program
Did you know the construction industry has the second highest rate of suicide in the United States at 53.3 per 100,000 workers according to the Center for Disease Control (CDC)?
Uncertainties at work and at home by the COVID-19 pandemic, compounded by building material availability, are leading causes of suicide and substance abuse across the entire contruction sector. The SPFA Board has contracted with CSDZ to develop this webpage containing resources dedicated to prevention of suicide and substance abuse.
- "Safety Avocates See Strength in Numbers to Combat Suicide and Substance Misuse" (ENR - Engineering News Record July 28, 2021)
- Construction Industry Blueprint: Suicide Prevention in the Workplace (presentation)
- "Leading a Company in the Aftermath of a Suicide Loss" (Construction Financial Management Association, Nov/Dec 2019)
- "Crises Management: The Critical Human Element" (Construction Financial Management Association, May/June 2021)
- Tool Box Talk on Mental Wellbeing: Self-Care
- Tool Box Talk on Mental Wellbeing: Risk of Alchohol and Substance Abuse
- Safebuild Alliance Tool Box Talk on Mental Healt and Suicide Prevention
- Employer Resources: Mental Wellness and Suicide Prevention
- Employee and Familiy Resources: Mental Wellness and Suicide Prevention
- Hardhat Health Safety: Responding to Grief.
- Resources for Military Veterans
- Domestic Violence Resources
- Start Your Own Recovery
|National Suicide Prevention Lifeline
|Crisis Text Line
|Sustance Abuse and Mental Health
This is a free and confidential resource that connects individuals with skilled, trained counselors 24/7. (United States)
Use the online Lifeline Crisis Chat
|Text HOME to 741741 from anywhere in the United States, anytime, about any type of crisis. A live, trained Crisis Counselor receives the text and responds, all from our secure online platform. The volunteer Crisis Counselor will help you move from a hot moment to a cool moment.
|Find HELP with the Behavioral Health Treatment Services Locator, a confidential and anonymous source of information for persons seeking treatment facilities in the United States or U.S. Territories for substance use/addiction and/or mental health problems.
- CIASP Suicide Hotline Wallet Cards (English) (Spanish) National Suicide Prevention Lifefline and Suicide Warning Signs. Formatted for 2-sided color printing on cardstock.
- CIASP Crisis Cards - Formatted for 2-sided color printing on business card stock
- SafeBuild Alliance Hardhat Stickers - Ready for 1-sided color printing on sticker stock
- ForeFront LEARN Card (English) (Spanish) - Outlines the LEARN program for suicide prevention